Python in Process Control?

Wolfgang Keller wolfgang.keller.nospam at gmx.de
Wed Oct 6 02:46:30 EDT 2004

Am Fri, 01 Oct 2004 09:14:40 -0400 schrieb Peter L Hansen:

> Wolfgang Keller wrote:
>> There seem to be some Python bits out there, for example MatPLC and
>> Lintouch use Python and some commercial products as well (PyDACHS), but
>> unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a more or less consistent library
>> for industrial automation or a coordinated effort to build up one.
>
> What, in your opinion, would it take to start one?

Work? >:->

A SIG would already be more than nothing, then start to set up a site with
a few links to things that are already available (whether free or
commercial), then start to collect things which are open-source and/or
free, then start to improve them and complete what's missing andsoon...

I have a dream :-): A Python library for industrial automation that is as
complete and well-documented as, for example, twisted for TCP/IP
communication.

You need an OPC server/client? - Import a module, instantiate a class and
there you go.

You need to talk <insert_your_favorite_fieldbus_here>? Same procedure...

Ah yes, and obviously have Python ported to all those RTOSes and embedded
controllers (PowerPC, StrongArm/XScale, MIPS, SH)...

RRRRRIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGGG - Uh, what?! Already time to get up and go to the
office? - Please NO! >:->

Best regards,

Wolfgang Keller