(solved) smtplib, capturing output from set_debuglevel ??

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Oct 11 08:16:01 EDT 2004

Tim Williams wrote:
> [...]
[...Tim fixes smtplib...]

> Took me about 4 minutes !!
>
> now I can call s.debug()  and get a list containing the debug information.
> s.debug() can be called at anytime including after s.quit()
>
> As a side benefit,  I can use s.do_debug( msg ) at any time to get the
> program to add (comment) lines to the debug information.  This will be
> useful when reading the full retrieved debug information at a later date.
>
> set_debuglevel() works exactly as it did before.
>
> I have to tidy up the formatting/handling of the messages,   and I think I'm
> going to add an option to retrieve  the debug information without the
> message data (as its usually superfluous to the debugging process) , but
> other than that it does just what I need already.
>
> Is it worth asking for something like this to be added permanently to
> smtplib,  I can't be the only one that needs to log outgoing smtp
> conversations,  or debug to a file/log ?
>
> Thanks for everyone's help

Correct action under these circumstances would be to submit a patch.
This sounds intimidating of you've never done it before, but the process
isn;t that difficult once you've created your SourceForgew account, and
there are meny experienced hands on the list who will help you if you
get stuck.

regards
  Steve
--