PythonCom equivalent on Linux!

Duncan Grisby duncan-news at grisby.org
Wed Oct 13 11:29:39 EDT 2004

In article <ba129ce7.0410111812.52f88cac at posting.google.com>,
 John <johng2001 at rediffmail.com> wrote:

>Is there an equivalent of COM on Linux that I can get through Python.
>My need is to have some sort of language independent component
>framework. I can think of CORBA but I have to have a server running. I
>prefer not to. I just need Python components for local consumption in
>other languages. I remember Gnome libs having some thing like this.
>Any thoughts?

Other people have already mentioned that CORBA may be a good choice
for you, and pointed you to some of my presentations about the
issues.

One thing nobody has mentioned yet is your statement that for CORBA
you "have to have a server running". That is one of the common myths
about CORBA. For CORBA to work, there is no need for some kind of
separate server. Processes using CORBA talk to each other directly,
not through some other server.

Cheers,

Duncan.

--