P2P framework

Jeremy Bowers jerf at jerf.org
Thu Oct 28 23:01:10 EDT 2004

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:21:03 +0100, Boria Feigin wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am looking for a networking (p2p, if you like) framework with Python
> bindings. Requirements are very basic - a node should be able to:
>     o join/leave the network (perhaps with some auth. mechanism, but not
> essential at this stage)
>     o broadcast a message to other nodes
>     o communicate with another node on the network

If you want a relatively small number of nodes, Jabber might work here.
"Broadcasting" would be by creating "chat rooms", then all messages sent
to the address representing the chat room go to all members. This will
eventually bog down if you have too many entities in that room.
Communication with other entities is straighforward; to shuffle around
large hunks of data use Out Of Band connections (i.e., you set up a direct
socket).