GPL and Python modules.

Charles Hixson charleshixsn at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 25 14:48:39 EDT 2004

Peter Otten wrote:

>Grant Edwards wrote:
>

>>Let's say I use a GPL'd python module (e.g. something installed
>>in site-packages) in an application.
>>

>I'd say everything that uses a GPL'd module is derived work and must also be
>GPL'd. It doesn't matter how you distribute it. If the module is under the
>LGPL you could use it in a closed source app but must make available any
>changes to the original module.
>
>Peter

I don't think that's correct.  If you distribute the source, then I
don't think that you need to GPL the code (and if you GPL the code, you
*must* distribute the source anyway...so....).

The thing is, the source, although it depends on the GPL code to execute
is not itself linked to the GPL code.  It tells you (in the import
statement) that you'll need it, but that's a different matter.  You
might just want to study how some part of it worked.

I doubt that this is much help to you though.  Usually when people ask
such a question it's because they intend to distribute a closed source
version, and I don't think you can do that.  (But don't take my advice
as a certainty.  I'm quite biased in favor of the GPL.)