ActivePython/IIS Request Concurrency

Erik Rose psuspam at grinchcentral.com
Mon Oct 4 16:14:41 EDT 2004

> It's sufficient. :) Check out
> http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/082201-1.shtml for a good intro
> to using pywin32 for ASP.

Interestingly, that page espouses ActivePython, which I'm beginning to
suspect is nothing more than a thin candy coating around pywin32. Do
you know whether this is so?

> FWIW, I don't use ASP for anything more than an envelope for "real"
> Python scripts. [...] Such a scheme can keep you from tearing your
> hair out trying to mix Python indentation rules with HTML's lack of
> such.

I hope to make it to that point eventually. Right now, I have >15K
lines of VBScript that are going to have to interact peaceably with the
new Python stuff. (This is why I can't even consider CGI.) I hope to do
a bunch of inversion-of-control in Python and shove the VBScript out
more and more into peripheral utility functions, where it can be
translated at leisure.

So, just to confirm, you ran a few instances of my original test
scripts concurrently, and they completed almost simultaneously? Note
that your machine may be faster than mine. Does the busy-wait loop take
at least several seconds to run? If not, it would be hard to tell if
the instances of it were running serially or not. If they are indeed
concurrent, I'll be in touch soon to harrass you about your IIS
settings. :-D

Excitedly,
Erik Rose
Programmer/Analyst