Open Source License Question

Joachim Bowman usenet.0.lho at spamgourmet.com
Fri Oct 29 02:27:36 EDT 2004

Hi,

Dan Perl wrote:
> "Michael Foord" <fuzzyman at gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:6f402501.0410271123.5a7e68d9 at posting.google.com...
>>A lot of people use python as part of their job and are active
>>participants in teh python community. A lot of what I write are
>>library modules to do a particular job. Using the GPL means someone is
>>unable to use your work in a business setting. i don't expect other
>>people to sell products containing my work - but neither do I want to
>>prevent them from being able to use it.
>
> Fair enough.  LGPL, X, or BSD should allow you to do that.

So does the GNU GPL.  Freedom/Open Source and commercial use are two
orthogonal concepts.  The two don't interfere in any way.

You can have Free Software (under the GPL) that is used and distributed
commercially, Free Software that is used and distributed in a non
commercial way (Python), proprietary software that is used and
distributed commercially (think about MS Word), and proprietary software
that is used and distributed free of charge and without a commercial
background (sometimes called freeware).