End of file

Nick Craig-Wood nick at craig-wood.com
Thu Oct 7 11:29:57 EDT 2004

Duncan Booth <duncan.booth at invalid.invalid> wrote:
>  You need to read the next line before you can tell which is the last line.
>  The easiest way is probably to use a generator:
>
>  def lineswithlast(filename):
>      prev, line = None, None
>      for line in file(filename):
>          if prev is not None:
>              yield prev, False
>          prev = line
>      if line:
>          yield line, True
>

>  for line, last in lineswithlast('somefile.txt'):
>      print last, line

I like that.  I generalised it into a general purpose iterator thing.

You'll note I use the spurious sentinel local variable to mark unused
values rather than None (which is likely to appear in a general
list).  I think this technique (which I invented a few minutes ago!)
is guaranteed correct (ie sentinel can never occur in iterator).

def iterlast(iterator):
    "Returns the original sequence with a flag to say whether the item is the last one or not"
    sentinel = []
    prev, next = sentinel, sentinel
    for next in iterator:
        if prev is not sentinel: