.pyc files...

Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou tzot at sil-tec.gr
Mon Nov 15 11:10:41 EST 2004

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 23:53:53 GMT, rumours say that Jp Calderone
<exarkun at divmod.com> might have written:

>> What's the difference? I've never seen (read: used)
>> the $(...) syntax...
>
>  $() is a bash-ism.  `` is POSIX sh.  I'm not aware of any other significant differences (quoting rules vary, etc).  In particular, I can't think of any differences which would make $() preferable.

$( ) is not a bashism, I've been using it with ksh long before learning
about bash.  It is part of the POSIX sh.  See Command Substitution:

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/xcu_chap02.html#tag_02_06_03
--
TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best,
"Tssss!" --Brad Pitt as Achilles in unprecedented Ancient Greek