Advice needed

Matt Garman fake at not-real.bogus
Sat Nov 13 18:58:49 EST 2004

On 13 Nov 2004 07:54:57 -0800, Alberto <aaflores at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was trying to understand the reasons why I should learn Python.
> More like a pros/cons about this language. Currently, I use C,
> C/C++, Java, Perl, Visual VB and was looking to see the usefulness
> of Python.  Any suggestions?

As others have suggested, the best thing you can really do is spend
several hours with Google and some sample Python code and see how
you like it.

The reason I started getting into it is the following: I do most of
my programming in C/C++.  For me, the problem with those languages
is that it takes relatively more code to do many tasks compared to
Python.  So if I'm working on something that I haven't thought all
the way through, I find myself back-tracking from time to time.
This can be *very* time-consuming in C/C++ (the trial-and-error
method of programming).  However, things can be developed so quickly
in Python, that if you have to back-track, little time is lost.

In a nutshell, I like and use Python for creating quick
proof-of-concepts and as a development concepting tool.  Although,
most very high level languages (such as Perl and VB) are good for
this too---so we're back to personal preference :)

But also, for me, I enjoy learning new languages just for the sake
of learning them.  I think it's fun, and as another said, new
languages usually teach you how to think about problems in a
different way.  I've benefitted from this language "cross
pollination" many times---using another language's techniques and
paradigms has helped me come up with elegant solutions on more than
one occasion.

At the end of the day, it's personal preference... but if you can
spare the time, and enjoy learning and playing with new languages,
why not learn Python?

Matt

--
Matt Garman