Help for newbie

Dave Cook davecook at nowhere.net
Sun Nov 21 14:56:49 EST 2004

On 2004-11-20, Leuk <jlnespoulous at netscape.net> wrote:

> I would like to use ZODB, but I'm a newbie in Python, so I do not know if it
> be more easy for me to use PostgreSQL.

They are quite different beasties.  ZODB is an object database (based on
trees of objects), whereas Postgres is relational (based on tables).  Using
ZODB with your own object model is fairly transparent, whereas with any SQL
database you have to write to and read from tables.  However, there are
Object-Relation mappers for Python like SQLObject:

http://www.sqlobject.org

ZODB only provides the database "engine", whereas Postgres has both server
and client components.  ZODB is much easier to set up than Postgres (really,
you just install ZODB and go; Postgres requires a little more administration
than that).  ZODB provides no built-in indexing and query ability
AFAIK, so you may want to install something like IndexedCatalog:

http://www.async.com.br/projects/IndexedCatalog/

Dave Cook