Zope 3.0, and why I won't use it

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Tue Nov 16 02:35:17 EST 2004

Andrea Griffini <agriff at tin.it> wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 17:50:12 -0800, Josiah Carlson <jcarlson at uci.edu>
> wrote:
>
> >@d_adaptors(d_adapt(foo), d_adapt(bar))
> >def x(y, z):
>
> First listing type coercions and then listing the variables
> on which they're applied ? IMO this is worse than pre-ansi C.

Since I didn't learn C (1999) until after the ANSI standard, if you
would care to explain that'd be great.  Is it perhaps something like (I
can't remember the syntax I've seen, as I've only seen it a few times)...

int main(argc, argv)
(int argc, char[] argv)
{ /*body/* }

> I'd prefer explicit calls at the begin of the body rather
> than that... it would be way more readable.

So the trick is to ask yourself what is available now.  Decorators are
available now (or in a month or two when 2.4 comes out), and are about
as close to what you want as is going to happen before Py3k, and even
then, it may have syntax you don't want.

Me, I'll just stick my type checking and coercions (if either are
necessary) in the function body where I always have.

 - Josiah