Plone and mod_python

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Fri Nov 12 09:54:57 EST 2004

Tony Ha wrote:
> Hello Thornsten and Bruno
>
> Thanks very much for the explanations, from your answers, it looks like, it
> is better
> to use "Plone + Apache".

"better" depends on your needs !-)

> Is this means I need to install Apache, then Plone,
> and
> configure Apache or Plone to talk to each other?

This means that you need to install at least Zope and Plone. If you want
  or need to run Zope behind Apache, you'll of course need to install
and configure Apache...

> But under the plone.org downloads it offer a bundle installer for Window XP.
> Does
> this mean the bundle will use Zope and the built-in Medusa as the web
> server? and I
> do not need Apache?

Zope comes with a builtin web server, Medusa, which also exists as a
stand-alone web server. So you don't *need* any other web server.

You *can* run Zope 'behind' Apache, the latter forwarding requests to
the former.

Wether you *want* to run Zope 'standalone' or behind Apache depends on
your needs. We can't make this choice for you !-)

NB : I just don't know what's in the Plone XP package, if Zope is
included or not, but I doubt that it will contain Apache anyway !-)

HTH
Bruno