Python OS

Diez B. Roggisch deetsNOSPAM at web.de
Sun Nov 7 10:11:04 EST 2004

> Are you so sure of this Peter?  It certainly seems that this might be
> possible but as you point out, if one uses Python for _time critical_
> interrupts, the code will not live up to the _time critical_ aspect.
> Indeed, I agree and never said otherwise.  I could case less if it is
> extremely slow as speed or even usability was not my aim (I never
> indicated such either and in fact, I indicated otherwise by utilizing
> such terms as _virtual_ and _prototype_  [As Jeremy bravely points out] ).

I did not only mention the timing aspect, but also the GIL (Global
Interpretor Lock) aspect of a python-coded interrupt routine. That renders
python useless in such a case as it causes a deadlock.

I've had my share of embedded programming on various cores with variying
degrees of OS already available to me, as well as low-lever assembly
hacking on old 68k-machines as the amiga. My feeble attempts on task
schedulers and the like don't qualify as OS, but the teached me about the
difficulties that arise when trying to cope with data structure integritiy
in a totally asynchronous event like an interrupt.

All that stuff has to be so low-level and carefully adjusted to timing
requirements that python is ruled out there- sometimes even C doesn't make
up for it.

Thats what I had in mind when answering your question.

--
Regards,

Diez B. Roggisch