Is there a consensus on how to check a polymorphic instance?

Dan Perl danperl at rogers.com
Mon Nov 22 23:19:44 EST 2004

As you say yourself, many people in this group will probably recommend
solution #3.  I would agree with them.

You should keep in mind that Alex's recipe (solution #2) was published in
2001 (before version 2.2 which introduced big changes in terms of OO) so I'm
not sure he would recommend that solution anymore.  I'll leave it to him to
give his final judgement.

I haven't read Mertz's book and I don't know in what context he recommends
solution #1.  Personally I see it useful in situations where you want to
check whether the class has a method like next() for example, so you want to
see whether the object is iterable.  But if you implement a base class with
an attribute x1 it may be risky to just check objects for having that
attribute.  The object may have an attribute with that name but its role may
be completely different than what you expect (e.g., your class may use x1
for a list, but your object is an instance of a class that uses x1 for a
string).  Same thing with methods.

Go with isinstance().  That's what it's for.

Dan

news:1101180636.399043.199740 at z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...