Pictograms and Python

Jeremy Jones zanesdad at bellsouth.net
Tue Nov 16 08:35:21 EST 2004

Diez B. Roggisch wrote:

>Lad wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>did anyone try to convert a Pictogram ( = a picture with text) to text?
>>Lad
>>

>>From this and your last post I assume that you want to perform some
>registration stuff that is protected against scripts like yours using
>images with distorted characters that a human beeing can decipher and
>enter, but that are hard to identify using OCR techniques. They're called a
>CAPTCHA.
>
>As these protections are there for a good reason and I personally loathe
>spam, I hope you neither succeed nor get help from this community.
>
>In the (I believe unlikely) case of your plans to automate access to that
>site are of good intentions, I'm sure you can make a deal with the people
>running that service so that you can access it through some RPC mechanism.

Diez,

I almost jumped you for your harsh words to poor Lad....until I started
digging through past posts and found this (from google groups):

###

From: *Lad*
<http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&q=author:export%40hope.cz+>
(export at hope.cz <mailto:export%40hope.cz>)
Subject: Re: SMTP question
<http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&threadm=81a41dd.0410180801.7cee89bb%40posting.google.com&rnum=7&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dlad%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26group%3Dcomp.lang.python.*%26c2coff%3D1%26scoring%3Dd%26selm%3D81a41dd.0410180801.7cee89bb%2540posting.google.com%26rnum%3D7>

Original Format
<http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=81a41dd.0410180801.7cee89bb%40posting.google.com&output=gplain>

Newsgroups: comp.lang.python
<http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&group=comp.lang.python>
Date: 2004-10-18 09:01:04 PST

lutherrevisited at aol.com (LutherRevisited) wrote in message news:<20041017043525.18077.00005365 at mb-m03.aol.com> <http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=20041017043525.18077.00005365%40mb-m03.aol.com>...
> To Josiah, sorry you're getting this twice, didn't realize you responded both
> in the mailgroup, and by email.  But to others, that didn't help, well, it did
> as far as me formating for a list, but I'm still not getting into Yahoo.  For
> my smtp server smtp.mail.yahoo.com, I just pasted directly from my Outlook
> settings which have always worked fine.  When I use s.login('bossierbossman',
> 'password') I get something like SMTP AUTH extension not supported by server,
> and when I just have s.connect() I get socket.error: (10061, 'Connection
> refused')

I also had a problem to find a mail server that could relay my emails.
So I do it this way: for a recepient's address  I find his mailserver
and send the email directly to it. No need to have a mail server
*LAd*

###

If our little Lad is a mad spammer, may he receive an incurable and
particularly nasty virus (computer virus, of course) and may his inbox
be flooded with ads for genital enhancements, MLM, and college diplomas
all his days!

And, <insert CYA clause here> in the (I agree with your "unlikely"
assessment) case that he wants to do something
legitimate....well.....good luck and take Diez's advice.

Jeremy