stopping the sound server in PySol code -- how?

Diez B. Roggisch deetsNOSPAM at web.de
Sat Nov 20 08:22:09 EST 2004

Lynn wrote:

> I have a SuSe 9.1 linux box (although this isn't a new issue) with
> reasonably up to date everything.  When I run PySol, it grabs the sound
> system in a rude and complete way.
>
> I don't listen to sound and I NEED my sound system available even if PySol
> is running.
>
> Does anyone have a simple way of ripping the sound functionality our of
> PySol?  I've not enough of a python programmer to deal with this.
> Everything I've tried has just generated a ton of errors.

What sound server do you use? I run kde and thus artsd. There is a wrapper
called artsdsp. When putting that in front of your program, it will ensure
that access to /dev/dsp and the like are rerouted through the soundserver.

for example

artsdsp enigma

lets me play enigma along with xmms. Of course you have to use xmms arts
plugin for output, as otherwise xmms shows the same annoying behaviour.

--
Regards,

Diez B. Roggisch