thread, threading; how to kill a thread?

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Nov 17 15:48:53 EST 2004

I might reiterate this request, but knowing the standard answer (you
can't) -- what if I *really* want to?  In situations when a thread
becomes wedged, I don't know a way to get out of it.  I don't even know
a way to end the process elegantly, instead I have to kill -9 the process.

Even if it messes things up and I have to restart the process at the
soonest possible time to clean up the problems, it would be nice to be
able to exit the process.  As it is, the only robust way to deal with
the situation is to have a separate process that (at the original
process's request) will kill it, an assisted-suicide style.  That's
awkward to handle.

This is an issue with long-running threaded servers (like Webware or
even Zope), where even in the face of bugs it's important to keep the
service up.