Operator Overloading

Peter Maas peter at somewhere.com
Thu Nov 25 04:25:39 EST 2004

Sebastien Boisgerault schrieb:
> I wonder if the following quotation from the Python Reference Manual
> (release 2.3.3) about operator overloading is true :
>
> "For example, if a class defines a method named __getitem__(), and x
> is
> an instance of this class, then x[i] is equivalent to
> x.__getitem__(i)"
[...]
> 0.5
>
> but

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> AttributeError: __getitem__

The quotation above is true. Short form:

IF __getitem__ in dict THEN [] works.

What you are wondering about is the opposite direction

IF [] works THEN __getitem__ in dict.

but this is not what the Python Reference Manual says. Im not a
Numeric expert but AFAIK Numeric arrays are basically C arrays
having [] intrinsically so there's no need no deliver it via
__getitem__.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen,

Peter Maas