ANN: New configuration module released

Hung Jung Lu hungjunglu at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 4 03:59:58 EST 2004

vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk (Vinay Sajip) wrote:
> I've just made available the first general release of a configuration
> module for Python.

I know you probably want a lot of features, but then different people
want different things. What a person considers necessary, others may
find them unnecessary, and vice versa.

Microsoft went from .INI files to Windows registry, and now to
XML-based app.config files in the .NET world. I know app.config files
are not the best thing with the cleanest format, but, why re-invent
the wheel?

Microsoft's XML-based app.config is guaranteed to be widely used. For
something as minor as configuration files, for people that juggle
between many programming languages, I guess it's an OK solution.

I know many people may not like the XML overhead, I know many people
don't like Microsoft. But when you have to use hierarchical
configuration files across many programming languages, I don't know
any format out there that can compete with app.config. To me, the war
is already over.

regards,

Hung Jung