Are multiple return values really harmful? (Re: determining the number of output arguments)

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Thu Nov 18 14:16:31 EST 2004

Bengt Richter wrote:

>Maybe keyword unpacking could spell that with a '**' assignment target,
>e.g.,
>
>    ** = foo()  # update local bindings with all legal-name bindings in returned dict

I would *not* like to see this.  ISTM that, when reading a function, I
should be able to see where every name in that function came from.
Having global values appear from outside of the function is bad enough;
introducing a new way to magically create variables whose names I can't
see would be (IMO) very, very bad.

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International