RELEASED Python 2.4 (final)

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Nov 30 10:22:48 EST 2004

Dave Merrill wrote:
> Newb question: Is it possible/recommended  to have multiple versions of
> Python installed simultaneously? Earlier, I installed 2.4rc1, and a number
> of things in my 2.3.3 install stopped working. Are there known techniques
> for managing multiple versions?

What exactly stopped working?  Other than the fact that
file associations for .py files will, obviously, point to
only one of the two versions, I don't believe there should
be any other conflicts.  They use different registry keys,
for example, and normally don't rely on environment
variables, the PATH, or such.  Had you made any customizations
to the default installation, such as adding a PYTHONHOME
env var, or putting one folder in your PATH?

-Peter