[web_framework] Basic Question regarding web framework

Jim Smith jbzsmith at lycos.com
Sat Nov 27 13:49:42 EST 2004

Francis Lavoie wrote:

> I have some knowledge with PHP and JSP.
>
> Secondly, I would like to receive any advice on which webframe is best.

Each of the frameworks uses a different approach and has different
strengths and weaknesses.  It depends on which one fits you brain the
best.  The evaluation process can take a fair amount of time.

> Is webware is a good choice?

- Webware - Works well, but requires an application server that
communicates with the web server.  This is difficult in many hosting
situations.

A few that I like that work in most hosting environments are:

- Quixote - A programmer's approach.  You write a program that has
subroutines that create the web pages.  This one either fits your brain
or it doesn't. If you view your site as a program this is good choice.

http://www.mems-exchange.org/software/quixote/

- jonpy - A better CGI.  It provides an object oriented interface for
writing CGI programs.  I like it for its simplicity.

http://jonpy.sourceforge.net/

- Spyce - Python Server Pages.  Web pages with embedded python.  The
ability to embed Python chunks including proper indentation is very nice.

All of these work well, it just depends your style.  If you are looking
for something close to PHP then I think Spyce is your best choice.

Good luck,

Jim