PIL for Python 2.4?

David Fraser davidf at sjsoft.com
Sat Nov 20 03:06:37 EST 2004

Scott David Daniels wrote:
> Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou wrote:
>
>> Has anyone built PIL (1.1.4 or 1.1.5) for Python 2.4?  If yes, please
>> let me know, since I can't test a couple of my apps using PIL with 2.4 .
>> You can even reply by email (yes, I dare use true email in newsgroup
>> postings, but then, I'm postmaster and welcome spam :)
>>
>> TIA
>
> [... windows ... replies from others on using the MS VC 7.1  ...]
> Note that if you install MinGW, distutils can build acceptable
> files with it.  Since I believe I remember the PIL stuff is set up
> to build with distutils, you should be able to get it going that way
> as well.

I tried building PIL with mingw recently and had some failures I can't
remember ...

It *did* make me think "I wish there was some Pure Python image-handling
code". It seems like the C linkage is mainly required for image
formatting handling - I couldn't find any JPEG reading/writing code in
Pure Python ... would be nice :-)

David