newbie question

Jeremy Jones zanesdad at bellsouth.net
Tue Nov 16 11:50:43 EST 2004

John wrote:

>Can python do Shell programming or system programming as perl does?
>Thanks.
>
>John

Yes.  The only problem is that the perpetual migraine you have from
doing Perl and shell will quickly go away.  So, if you're into pain,
stick with Perl and shell.  If you want relief, come to Python.

Seriously, though, Python is an excellent language for doing sysadmin
type tasks. (I'm assuming that's kind of what you wanted?)  Most
sysadmin type tasks are in modules whereas with Perl, they're cluttering
the toplevel namespace (I don't think Perl has the concept of namespace,
but you get the drift).  So, not knowing what you want to do, you may
want to checkout the os module in Python (I've found os.path.* to be
specifically helpful).  You may also want to checkout the shutil module.

Jeremy