Class Encapsulation Errors in Python 2.3.3

Tim Henderson tim.tadh at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 17:09:35 EST 2004

I have solved the problem, it was indeed declaring the songs list in
the wrong place. I moved the declaration and the songs list no longer
acts like a static variable. I am going to have to read up on how the
interpreter evaluates variables declared there.

below is the new code, In this code the songs list no longer act like
the same variable.

code:
class Song:

    name = ''
    artist = ''
    album = ''

    def __init__(self, name, artist='', album=''):

        self.name = name
        self.artist = artist
        self.album = album

    def setName(self, name):
        self.name = name

    def getName(self):
        return self.name

    def setArtist(self, artist):
        self.artist = artist

    def getArtist(self):
        return self.artist

    def setAlbum(self, album):
        self.album = album

    def getAlbum(self):
        return self.album

    def __str__(self):
        return self.name + '  ' + self.artist + '  ' + self.album + '
'

class Album:

    songs = False
    name = ''
    artist = ''

    def __init__(self, name, artist=''):
        if not self.songs: self.songs = []
        self.name = name
        self.artist = artist

    def setName(self, name):

        self.name = name
        for x in songs:
            x.setAlbum(self.name)

    def getName(self):
        return self.name

    def setArtist(self, artist):
        self.artist = artist
        for x in self.songs:
            x.setArtist(self.artist)

    def getArtist(self):
        return self.artist

    def addSong(self, song): #must be song class
        #print 'NAME: ' + self.name
        song.setAlbum(self.name)
        song.setArtist(self.artist)
        self.songs.append(song)

    def deleteSong(self, name):

        x = 0
        while x < self.songs.__len__():
            cname = self.songs[x].getName()

            if cname == name:
                del self.songs[x]
                return True

            x += 1

        return False

    def __str__(self):
        val = self.name + '\t'

        for x in self.songs:
            val += x.__str__() + " | "

        return val
    def getSongs(self):
        return self.songs

class Artist:

    name = ''
    songs = False #this is only really for deleting songs
    albums = False
    unknownAlbum = '' #set in init

    def __init__(self, name):
        if not self.songs: self.songs = []
        if not self.albums: self.albums = []
        self.unknownAlbum = Album('unknown')
        self.albums.append(self.unknownAlbum)
        self.name = name
        self.unknownAlbum.setArtist(self.name)

    def setName(self, name):
        for x in albums:
            self.name = name

    def getName(self):
        return self.name

    def addSong(self, song): #must be song class
##~         print 'NAME:\t:'+self.name
        song.setArtist(self.name)

        a = song.getAlbum()
        for x in self.albums:
            if a == x.getName():
##~                 print '--------'
##~                 print a + '  ' + x.getName()
##~                 print x
##~                 print song
##~                 print '--------'
                x.addSong(song)
                print 'ya'
                self.songs.append(song)
                print self.songs
##~                 print '********'
##~                 print x
##~                 print self.unknownAlbum
##~                 print '********'
                return

        if a == '':

            self.unknownAlbum.addSong(song)
            #print "yo " + song.__str__()
            a = True
            self.songs.append(song)
            return

        elif a != True:
            #print 'yea ' + song.__str__()
            newAlbum = Album(a)
            newAlbum.setArtist(self.name)
            self.albums.append(newAlbum)

            print self.addSong(song)
##~             print "@"+
self.albums[self.albums.__len__()-1].__str__()
            return

    def deleteSong(self, name): #give song name

        x = 0
        while x < self.songs.__len__():
            cname = self.songs[x].getName()

            if cname == name:
                a = self.songs[x].getAlbum()

                for calbum in self.albums:
                    if a == calbum.getName():
                        calbum.deleteSong(name)

                del self.songs[x]
                return True

            x += 1

        return False

    def addAlbum(self, Album): #must be album class
        aSongs = Album.getSongs()
        for song in aSongs: self.songs.append(song)
        Album.setArtist(self.name)
        self.albums.append(Album)

    def deleteAlbum(self, name):

        x = 0