extending file?

Diez B. Roggisch deetsNOSPAM at web.de
Tue Nov 2 08:32:31 EST 2004

Chris Cioffi wrote:

> Are there any docs or examples of extending the file type?  I work
> with EDI messages that are very like text files, just with a few
> quirks. ;-)  and I was wondering if I could strech and twist the built
> in file type to make things a bit faster and more full featured.

I'm not sure what you want to accomplish here - but one of the nicer aspects
of python is that you don't have to inherit from file when you want to pass
a file-like object to some lib. See the cStringIO module. So if you create
a edi-class that _behaves_ like a file, thats all you need - you then can
pass it to any file-accepting pieco of code.

Is that what you've been asking for?
--
Regards,

Diez B. Roggisch