Rationals?

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Wed Nov 17 21:49:16 EST 2004

With the decimals and the unification of int and long coming, it's natural
(for me, anyway) to wonder how much interest there is in a rational type.
There are two PEPs (239 and 240), and the Guido rejects them as no one
seems interested in doing the work, but points out that the python
distribution comes with examples/Demo/classes/Rat.py.

I propose - in the spirit of "batteries included" - that Rat.py be
cleaned up some (mostly to take advantage of the union of ints and
longs) and moved into the standard library.

Any good reasons not to do this?

    <mike