SQL Server stored prcedures with output parameters

logistix at cathoderaymission.net logistix at cathoderaymission.net
Fri Nov 19 10:33:44 EST 2004

> Well, in ADO you'd normally create a command object and then do
> something like
>
> objCmnd.Parameters.Append.CreateParameter("@link_id", &
> 		adInteger, adParamOutput, , 0)
>
> Unfortunately as far as I can see the DB API docs are silent on how to
> distinguish the output parameters to a callproc(), contenting itself
> with saying """The result of the call is returned as modified copy of
> the input sequence. Input parameters are left untouched, output and
> input/output parameters replaced with possibly new values."""

You need to create the parameter seperately so you get a reference to
it.  My ADO is a little rusty, but it's something like:

outparam = win32com.client.Dispatch("ADODB.Paramter")
# set param here instead of function
objCmd.Parameters.Append(outparam)

Then you can access outparam after executing the stored proc.