distutils and Debian

Istvan Albert ialbert at mailblocks.com
Wed Nov 10 22:20:59 EST 2004

Robert Kern wrote:

> only depend on the main python package. Most packages that need Python
> *don't* need distutils or the C headers or the static library.

The *devel* branch in my interpretation means the distribution
that contains the files used during the development of the
application itself. For example the C headers
that you mention.

But it should not mean removing support
for installing new scripts for the runtime
application!

Distutils is primarily about installing and distributing
python programs and it has little to do with developing
python itself. Some packages will not
be installable without the devel branch but removing
distutils to head off that situation seems very odd.

Istvan.