why python is slower than java?

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Fri Nov 5 16:05:48 EST 2004

Maurice LING <mauriceling at acm.org> wrote in message news:<418b27a1$1 at news.unimelb.edu.au>...
> 1st of all, I thought it is somehow common knowledge that python is
> slower than java in many cases. Though I may be wrong... When I do a
> Google search, this came up...
>
> http://twistedmatrix.com/users/glyph/rant/python-vs-java.html

Apart from the execution speed comparison, did you note that the
author took 4 x the time to write the Java, even though he had much
more Java experience than Python? Did you note that he severely bagged
Java reliability?

In any case, this article is comparing Python 1.5.2 and Java JDK 1.1
-- what does that tell you? If you need a clue, look at the date at
the bottom of the article; looks like 4.5 years old to me. Do you
think that either or both languages might have changed a little since
then?

Or is this a joke/troll?? I can't believe the "unimelb.edu.au"; surely
a forgery.