activating history in Python 2.3.4

Riko Wichmann riko.wichmann at remove-this.desy.de
Fri Nov 19 07:41:20 EST 2004

Gerhard Haering wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 10:03:47AM +0100, Riko Wichmann wrote:
>
>>[Python compiled from source does not have readline support]
>

> Make sure that the readline development headers and libraries are
> installed on your system.
>
> On Debian Linux, for example they're called libreadline4-dev. On
> RPM-based Linux distributions, they're called libreadline-devel or
> similarly.

well I installed readline5.0 from source, so all necessay headers are
there. but still, no module named readline ....

I configure python explicitly with --with-readline and everything seems
to be fine. I find in the config.log:

ac_cv_lib_readline_rl_completion_matches=yes
ac_cv_lib_readline_rl_pre_input_hook=yes

and no other complains in connection with readline. However, looking in
the lib/python2.3/lib-dynload after make, make install, there is only a
readline_failed.so and an xreadlines.so ... ??

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

	Riko