checking a thread has started

Deepak Sarda deepak.sarda at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 02:34:10 EST 2004

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 09:10:32 GMT, Francesco Bochicchio
<bockman at virgilio.it> wrote:
> I'm not aware of any method in the standard library to do this. But you
> could try using events for this purpose, doing soomething like this:

I tried what you suggested and it works... almost!

This is my thread related code block:

while 1:
    t = CreateT( some params)
    t.start()
    t.actually_started.wait(4.0)
    if t.actually_started.isSet():
        threadList.append(t)
        break

And i loop over the params using this block. Now the whole program
runs and prints the expected output - reaches the last line of code.
But it just doesn't exit! I've tried putting a sys.exit() as well as a
raise SystemExit as the last line - the program still doesn't finish.

Out of the 15 threads, two threads had to be created twice before they
were properly started. I suspect it's due to these dangling threads
that the python interpretor can't exit cleanly. I may be totally wrong
there but that's my guess.

Deepak

--

Online: http://www.antrix.net/journal/