SPARK v.s. PLY

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Thu Nov 18 12:37:19 EST 2004

anhtt at hotmail.com (Tran Tuan Anh) wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am searching for a suitable parsing tool to parse C++ for a research
> project.
> Actually I am parsing SystemC, it is a C++ lib with some macros, hence
> I need to modify the grammar a little bit to handle some new keywords.
>
> I need to construct the Control Flow Graph and play around with it a
> bit.
> So far, I have found SPARK and PLY that seem to be suitable to my
> task. Other packages are either not so well established or not so well
> tested and documented. (Please correct me if I am wrong).
>
> If you know the parsing stuff well, could you briefly tell me the
> pros. and cons. of those packages? (or some others you find good too)

I've recently found myself in love with DParser.  I had planned on
writing my own parser for a particular little query language until I
happened upon it, and within 15 minutes, had a parser that was exactly
what I wanted (variable lengthed list support, recursive rules, etc.).

I've not really used SPARC, TPG or PLY, so can't comment on them.

 - Josiah