Python OS

exarkun at divmod.com exarkun at divmod.com
Sat Nov 6 11:03:13 EST 2004

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 16:24:09 +0100, "Diez B. Roggisch" <deetsNOSPAM at web.de> wrote:
>Benji York wrote:
>
> > Diez B. Roggisch wrote:
> >> Hm. I'll reread them myself and see if what has been achieved in this
> >> field. But I seriously doubt that someone took a python interpreter and
> >> started writing an OS.
> >
> > I am aware of at least one attempt.  See
> > http://cleese.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/moin.cgi and the mailing list
> > archive.  They managed to boot a specially modified VM and run simple
> > Python programs.  Unfortunately the project was abandoned about a year
> > ago.
>
> And it backs my assertions:

  Indeed it does.  But pointing out that you cannot write an OS entirely in Python is about as interesting as pointing out that you cannot write an OS entirely in C.  Accept it.  Move on.  This doesn't mean that it wouldn't be useful to write _most_ of an OS in Python.

  For an actively developed Python OS project, see unununium.

  Jp