win 2003 server

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 20:39:48 EST 2004

[Brad Tilley]
> Does Python run on Windows Server 2003?

Do you mean Windows Small Business Server 2003, Windows Server 2003
Web Edition, Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition, Windows Server 2003
Enterprise Edition, Windows Server 2003 Datacenter Edition, or Windows
Storage Server 2003?

> http://www.python.org/download/download_windows.html only lists the
> following:
>
> Python for Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000, ME, XP

When you've been around Windows long enough, you'll understand why
your question reads to us like my question above reads to you --
"what's the difference?!" <wink>.

Here's a still-partial list of Windows versions Python runs on:

Windows 95
Windows 95 OSR2
Windows 98
Windows 98 Second Edition
Windows Millennium Edition
Windows NT 3.1
Windows NT 3.5
Windows NT 3.51
Windows NT 4.0
Windows 2000
Windows 2000 Professional
Windows 2000 Server
Windows XP Home Edition
Windows XP Professional
Windows XP Media Center Edition
Windows XP SP2 (several flavors)
Windows Small Business Server 2003
Windows Server 2003 Web Edition
Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition
Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition
Windows Server 2003 Datacenter Edition
Windows Storage Server 2003

The longer this goes on, it seems the more names they give to each
flavor.  The only interesting (wrt Python) categories are < 95, and >=
95.  All the above are in the latter category, and so will be every PC
OS MS releases in the forseeable future (including 64-bit Windows
variants).