how do I read a series of pickled objects from a socket?

Ryan Grow ryangrow at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 16 15:55:06 EST 2004

Hi,

I am trying to figure out the correct and most
reliable way to read a series of pickled objects from
a socket.
I've found examples that do something like this:

while 1:
   data = conn.recv(500)
   obj = pickle.loads(data)
   # do stuff with object

I don't think the above example would work for my
application. The above example might work if the
server never expects to get more than one object on
the socket at a time.

The server I'm writing will get a series of objects so
it will need to know where each pickled object ends in
the stream so it knows where to start reading the next
object from.

Is there a correct way to identify the terminator of a
pickled object? Is there a standard and correct way
for the pickle module to easily read pickled objects
from a socket?

Thanks,

Ryan