Python for 8/16 Bit MSDOS ( 486 / 586 / K5 / K6/ Beck-IPC ) processors.

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.us
Fri Nov 5 10:08:03 EST 2004

In article <y8hgv6h3.fsf at python.net>,
Thomas Heller  <theller at python.net> wrote:
>Manfred Schwab <msw at iee.lu> writes:
>
>> Hi there,
>> which versions of python are usable under MS-DOS 5.0 oder 6.22 or Dr.
>> DOS.
>>
>> I want to use it under a industrial environment to collect measuring
>> data like temperature, moist and signalconditions with a Beck industrial
>> PC. Did somebody try this already ? Is there a certain URL where i can
>> get further information.
>
>I severely doubt the Beck-IPC has enough memory for that.
>
>Thomas

I like the challenges of working with unusual hosts.  Let's
go through this a bit more slowly.

I have no doubt that getting 2.3 to work on a Beck is ...
quixotic.  However, there are a lot of alternatives.  Earlier,
smaller versions of Python were thriftier with memory (or per-
haps less ambitious).  If the goal is enough Python to collect
data as you describe, you might well be able to generate your
own Python from a 1.2 or 1.3 series that works adequately.

Does anyone maintain a museum of old Pythons?  These turn out
to be both valuable and relatively modest in effort.  I have
too many other unfinished projects now to launch another ...

If you're simply looking for a good way to do development on
a Beck, several other languages (Lua, TinyTcl, Forth, ...)
are likely both to fit and to satisfy at least most of your
affection for high-level programming.