Python needs a CPyAN

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Tue Nov 2 13:39:31 EST 2004

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 16:36:46 +0000,
	Peter Hickman <peter at semantico.com> wrote:
> The real trick is going to be getting the existing module authors to commit to
> putting their code in your repository in the first place and then making sure
> your CPyAN tools are part of the standard Python distribution.

No, the trick is going to be implementing something.  Remember, there were
three or four catalog strawmen before Richard Jones wrote PyPI; each of
those was announced on catalog-sig, feedback was requested, and absolutely
no comments were made publicly.  Richard just went ahead and volunteered to
set things up on python.org anyway.

I expect the same results for a PyPAN; someone will post a prototype that
does 30% of what's needed, ask for reactions, and get nothing.  Lots of
people *want* a PyPAN; the number of people willing to work on it is about
zero.

And it should be noted I can already install Python packages with
dependencies by running a command such as "apt-get install
python2.3-gnome2", for example.

--amk