Gnome version of Idle?

Eric Brunel eric_brunel at despammed.com
Mon Nov 22 04:46:41 EST 2004

Dave Anderson wrote:
> I love using Idle as my IDE for python on Windows.  I've briefly tried
> some other IDE's, but the clean and simple nature of Idle keeps me
> coming back to it.
>
> Recently, I tried out Idle on Fedora.  The lack of font selection, the
> lack of anti-aliasing, and the gaudiness of the widgets were a real
> disappointment.
>
> I wish I could have something like a Gnome-Idle IDE, so I can have the
> beautiful IDE I'm enjoying in Windows over in Fedora-land.

No need to go GTK: just wait for tcl/tk 8.5 and you'll get widgets almost as
cool-looking as GTK ones, since this version will include the tile extension,
adding theme support to tk. See http://tktable.sourceforge.net/tile/

> Is their any such IDE available? or, is it even possible that I'll see
> anything like a Gnome clone or version of IDLE within the next few
> years?

Make it months (maybe even weeks...). If you have a Python version using tk 8.4
(e.g. Python 2.3), you can even try it today by installing the tile package and
do in your Python code something like (untested...):

from Tkinter import *
root = Tk()
root.tk.call('package', 'import', 'ttk::*')

I didn't look how to include this in IDLE, but it should be a matter of adding
one line after the creation of the Tk instance... But take care: according to
http://tktable.sourceforge.net/tile/doc/converting.txt, it will probably break
quite a few things, and may even not work at all...

HTH