why python is slower than java?

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Sun Nov 7 00:40:46 EST 2004

Maurice LING <mauriceling at acm.org> wrote:

>> dude that "comparision" from twistedmatrix you refrence is ANCIENT!!!
>
>I am wondering the impact when IBM decided that the base memory to not
>exceed 64kb, in the late 1960s...

What???  If you are referring to the original IBM PC, which did ship with
64k base memory, that was 1980, not 1960.  You could certainly order one
with more than 64kB.

In the late 1960s, IBM was worrying about the System/360.  It had a lot
more than 64kB of base memory.

>> it is comparing versions that are YEARS out of date and use!
>
>Are the codebase of Python 1.5.2 and Java 1.1 totally replaced and
>deprecated?

For new development, yes, Python 1.5.2 has been totally replaced.  There
are legacy applications running in Python 1.5.2 that aren't worth the
trouble to upgrade.

>Lisp compiler is the 1st compiler to be created (according to the
>Red-Dragon book, I think) and almost all others are created by
>bootstrapping to LISP compiler.

That's just silly.  It is true that LISP was one of the pioneers of the
compiled languages, but other compilers were not written in LISP.  Almost
without exception, compilers were all written in assembly language until
Pascal came around.
- Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.