why python is slower than java?

Kent Johnson kent3737 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 6 21:54:30 EST 2004

Terry Hancock wrote:
> The reality is that [Python] isn't really all *that* slow to execute,
> and later versions have gotten quite a bit faster.
>
> But it remains really fast to develop in. ;-)

> Certainly
> Java is going to be faster than Jython (Python running on a
> Java platform).

This is sort of like saying that C is faster than Python. To the Java
programmer, it's an excuse to avoid looking at Jython. To the Jython
programmer, it's "Yes, and your point is...?"

The reality is that Jython isn't really all *that" slow to execute.

But it remains really fast to develop in. ;-)

And you can always recode critical sections in Java for speed.

OK, you can probably guess what language I use in my day job now...

Kent