Newbie MySQLdb / MySQL version problem, I think

deelan ggg at zzz.it
Sun Nov 28 16:13:32 EST 2004

Dave Merrill wrote:
> Sorry for the newbness... Win2K, Python 2.3.3, MySQL 4.1.7. Downloaded and
> extracted MySQL-python-1.0.0.win32-py2.3.zip. Put the whole extracted
> directory into C:\Program Files\Python23\Lib\site-packages\ and renamed it
> to "MySQLdb.
>
> MySQLdb.__version__ returns '1.0.0', so I think it's installed ok.
>
> However, I still can't connect, and I just want to confirm my guess on what
> the problem is, which is that MySQLdb doesn't yet support MySQL 4.1. I'd
> hoped that all that meant was that it wouldn't support any of 4.1's new
> features, but it appears this combination may be completely non-functional.
> Test and results below.
>
> Has anyone else tried this?
i'm under the impression that binary 1.0.0 can only connect to 4.0 or
3.x mysql server installations.

there's must something written on the docs, IIRC it depends
on which version of mysql client lib the mysqldb has been compiled
against.

since the v1.0.0 comes pre-complied on windows i think this is
the problem.

bye.