ctypes 0.9.2 released

Paul Watson pwatson at redlinepy.com
Sat Nov 27 13:01:43 EST 2004

"Thomas Heller" <theller at python.net> wrote in message
news:mzy58j41.fsf at python.net...
> Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> writes:

>>> Another one of Pythons perceived strengths is that if you get a
>>> segfault, it's a bug in Python. With ctypes that will no longer be
>>> as clear.
>>
>> It's always been the case that C extensions can cause segfaults.  This
>> is just a tool for incorporating C extensions, without writing any
>> extra C.  It even says "c" right in the name, which should cause a
>> certain amount of (justified) fear for anyone who knows what that
>> means ;)
>>
>> Having ctypes in the stdlib would be cool, because it would mean that
>> many C library extension could be installed with no compilation step,
>> since ctypes would already be compiled as part of the default
>> install. Assuming the C library was already installed, but typically C
>> libraries get packaged for distribution long before the associated
>> Python extension is packaged.
>
> Of course I think that ctypes in the standard lib would be great, but I
> won't try to push this myself anymore.  I tried several times in the
> past, and have failed miserably (at least that's how I feel).
>
> Thomas

The question at hand is "what is the alternative?"  Will the user
(developer) need to write code and acquire a compiler?  Will that reduce the
probability of a segfault on the Python project?

Also, it is much easier to push an application into an enterprise when
everything comes in one kit.  Those who do not know and are making the
decisions return nothing but "NO WAY" when a developer says that we just
need to download something on the Internet...  And the discussion ends.
What does the developer do then?