Should I learn Python?

Dirkjan Ochtman dochtman at cs.vu.nl
Wed Nov 3 03:41:11 EST 2004

> 1. What can I do with Python that I can't do with php?

Python is a much cleaner. Its design was well thought-out, with very
good support of OOP (something which has been problematic in PHP 4).
Also, several features in Python make sure you write clean code with it,
something that is very much lacking in PHP. Finally, the library in
Python is cleanly separated and easily extensible.

> 2. Do you use both PHP and Python in conjunction with each other?

I've used PHP a lot, but I'm currently moving all development effort to
Python. For some projects, I think combined use could be useful (e.g. to
setup a web service of which one side is easier to do in Python, while
the other side would be easier to do in PHP).

> 3. In what way could I utilize Python to compliment existing sites or
> apps built with PHP?

This depends on the way your applications are written. My PHP
applications are always embedded in a framework I wrote myself, and this
would make it hard to effectively extend the application in Python.

Regards,

Dirkjan