why python is slower than java?

Jacek Generowicz jacek.generowicz at cern.ch
Tue Nov 9 08:13:57 EST 2004

finite.automaton at gmail.com (Lonnie Princehouse) writes:

> Yes, wxPython is typically quicker than swing.  It's not fair to use
> this in a generic Python-vs-Java speed shootout, though, since
> wxPython is just a wrapper around wxWidgets' C++ code; you're really
> comparing C++ vs. Java here.

And Python's list.sort is just a wrapper around C code. So I guess
that it's not fair to use that, or any other Python built-in function,
in a Python-vs-X speed shootout. This would mean you can't use Python
classes in such a shootout either, as type.__new__ and object.__new__
are both also merely wrappers around C code ... not to mention Python
dictionaries: wrappers around C code which are used in just about
every name lookup in Python.

So, the conclusion is that it's not fair to use Python in a
Python-vs-X speed shootout.

I rather like that conclusion :-)