What is Python's answer to Perl 6?

Reinhold Birkenfeld reinhold-birkenfeld-nospam at wolke7.net
Wed Nov 3 11:57:21 EST 2004

Y2KYZFR1 wrote:
> Reinhold Birkenfeld <reinhold-birkenfeld-nospam at wolke7.net> wrote in message news:<2uh4j7F2a86uqU1 at uni-berlin.de>...
>> Hello,
>>
>> another Perl/Python question: the subject says it all.
>>
>> Perl is going to change dramatically to become a more powerful and
>> easier to (read|write) language.
>>
>> Is Python taking a similar step (-> Python 3) some time in the near future?
>>
>> Reinhold
>
> nice troll bait . . .

Yes, I confess, the article was intendedly trolly. But I got interesting
views on the issue, and for that I want to thank you all.

> Python has always been the most READABLE and WRITABLE language, and
> will continue to be extremely MAINTANCE friendly.
>
> Perl has always been a WRITE only, MAINTANCE nightmare language. For
> MANY reasons.
> Nothing in the Perl 6 docs leads me to believe that it will be any
> less cryptic and obfuscated and propeller head appealing than 5. More
> complicated if anything.

I read through the Apocalypses, etc., and my first thought was: Wow, so
many features! But afterwards I realized that this featurism combined
with Perl ideology MUST lead to a total confusion in programming.

Perl is neat as long as it does what you mean - it helps you in that,
but once the DWIMmyness is too dumb to realize what you want, you have a
double-hard time finding a solution.

Reinhold

--
[Windows ist wie] die Bahn: Man muss sich um nichts kuemmern, zahlt fuer
jede Kleinigkeit einen Aufpreis, der Service ist mies, Fremde koennen