why python is slower than java?

Lonnie Princehouse finite.automaton at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 18:55:29 EST 2004

Yes, wxPython is typically quicker than swing.  It's not fair to use
this in a generic Python-vs-Java speed shootout, though, since
wxPython is just a wrapper around wxWidgets' C++ code; you're really
comparing C++ vs. Java here.   It does highlight the fact that it's
easy to write C extensions for Python, though.

AFAIK the major two reasons for Python's relative slowness are that
it's interpreted and dynamically typed.

There's almost always a convenience-for-speed trade-off, and Python is
certainly more convenient than Java :P