Microsoft Patents 'IsNot'

Carlos Ribeiro carribeiro at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 06:25:54 EST 2004

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 20:11:47 -0800, Tim Roberts <timr at probo.com> wrote:

> Carlos Ribeiro <carribeiro at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >I think that Delphi is *so* underated when it comes to language &
> >framework design... Delphi suffered from a couple of problems; first,
> >it was Pascal's child, and not C; also, because it was a proprietary
> >project, owned by a single company.
> >
> >For some reason, being a Pascal descendant was regarded as a big "no"
> >by a huge part of the industry, not to mention academia, that was at
> >that time fascinated with the prospect of C++. I wonder what could
> >have happened if Delphi (maybe with another name -- P++ anyone?) was
> >widely adopted instead of C++ for big projects...
>
> You are absolutely correct.  I have never understood the industry prejudice
> against Delphi.  The code is just as efficient as the typical C compiler.
> GUI design in the IDE has always been easier in Delphi than in Visual
> Studio.  VCL is easier to understand than MFC

Not to mention that Delphi is way 'saner' (sic?) than either VB and
VC++ when it comes to weird features & behavior. But it also strikes
to me that a lot of Delphi folks are now Python converts. It seems
that, in a sense, Delphi managed to be a step in the right direction;
in a time where everyone was jumping in the C++ bloat wagon, Delphi
was clearly a much better choice in terms of language & environment
design. Of course, now Delphi is nearly dead, but we have Python :-)

--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos
mail: carribeiro at gmail.com