distutils and Debian

Sam Holden sholden at flexal.cs.usyd.edu.au
Wed Nov 10 20:34:04 EST 2004

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 20:03:51 -0500,
	Istvan Albert <ialbert at mailblocks.com> wrote:
> Sam Holden wrote:
>

>>>Should this be reported as a Debian bug?
>
>> No.
>
> I would say yes ... there is no logic in crippling
> a standard python distribution. What else is missing?

If it's anything like perl then lots of things. But they
are easily installed via their seperate packages.

The documentation being the big obvious thing.
Tkinter being another.

The logic might be to make small installs possible. If all
of "standard python" was put in one package then debian
couldn't use python for writing things which might be
wanted on small systems.

It might also make sense to split "pure python" and "binary"
packages up since the "pure python" packages might be sharable
across architecures, but I don't think that is done.

"no logic" seems a bit extreme. Cost exceeding the benefit
might be true, but of the top of my head there's two vaguely
"logical" reasons.

--
Sam Holden